This is a Boxee app template, with useful common setup and bits, to kick-start your Boxee app development. Removing the need to go through common setup tasks and little best practice. Hopefully this will makes things quicker when creating new Boxee apps.
This is a very much a work in progress and I will add useful bits as they come to mind. Feel free to add your own useful bits and submit a pull request. What’s currently in there is:
- PSD template for creating thumbnails for your apps. With sashes(implemented as layers) to identify your different app flavours within Boxee – development, staging, live.
- .gitignore file specific for Boxee development
- A prefilled descriptor.xml with common values and guidance to add the necessary customisations. Plus an example descriptor file.
- Packaging script for automating the packaging/zipping of your apps ready for deployment to your staging repository or official Boxee repository.
- First xml layout to instantly get started.
To create a new app based on this template/boilerplate. Navigate to the Boxee apps directory in a terminal. Then run:
git clone git://github.com/tommysqueak/Boxee-Boilerplate.git developer-id.your-app-id
The developer-id should be your unique prefix for you or your company. Mine is ‘greatboxee’. The unique app id you intend to use for the app. Eg grooveshark, so the full id, and dir, would be greatboxee.grooveshark
Then open up the descriptor.xml (located in the developer-id.your-app-id directory eg greatboxee.grooveshark) in your editor of choice and fill in the blanks. Open Boxee and check it runs ok. Make a kick-ass app.
If you’re using Git for source control, rename example.gitignore to .gitignore